DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A VIRTUAL ASSISTANT?
I'm often asked by women if they can really make a living working from home as a Virtual Assistant. They usually tell me about their past careers, education, and skills. They want to know if their particular concoction of work + life experience will make them a successful Virtual Assistant.
Here's the truth:
I don't know.
Honestly? Any person from any background with any amount of experience can become a successful Virtual Assistant or be a crap Virtual Assistant. A good Virtual Assistant is one who is:
- Willing to work their butt off
- Learns what they need to learn
- Does whatever it takes
A successful Virtual Assistant knows how to stare fear in the face and bring it down like a warrior princess in the fight of her life.
I learned this from my own experience becoming a Virtual Assistant:
- When I started my journey into this business in 2011 I didn't have a Marketing background - but I studied everything I could get my hands on and still do.
- I used to laugh about how 'un-techie' I was (I dreaded a power outage because I couldn't even change the time on my alarm clock) but I took training to learn what I needed to know as I went (and, once again, I still take training all the time)
- The first website I built for myself was the result of many coffee-fueled nights, outbursts of real tears and multiple hand slaps to my forehead. Still, I cranked out a crappy little site and did my best to promote it.
- I took my first client at the ridiculously low price of $10 per hour. I also worked my ass off on nights and weekends to make sure he was beyond happy with the work I did.
- Sometimes I ran out of time to cook. I fed my kids cold cereal for supper and they lived...in fact, they thought it was awesome.
- Once I bought packages of new socks for everyone instead of doing laundry because I just didn't have time.
- I often wondered if it might be easier to become something like - oh, I dunno - a BRAIN SURGEON than to figure out how to be a successful entrepreneur. But I figured it out...practice makes perfect!
At the end of the day...it's not your previous skills, experience, life, or back-story that will determine your success. It's what you're willing to do starting today and moving forward. It's not easy. But can you become a successful Virtual Assistant? Absolutely.
Be a Brainy Gal! Join our mailing list to receive the latest tips, updates, and V.A. inspo from us!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.